Author Topic: Police left lost dog to die!!!!Updated  (Read 7668 times)

Offline PrincessJo5

Police left lost dog to die!!!!Updated
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:26:29 PM »
COPS LEFT LOST DOG TO DIE..AT A POLICE STATION
Stray alone for 10 days

A GREYHOUND died of thirst after police dumped it in a tiny kennel at their station, then forgot about it for TEN days.
The stray's remains were only found when officers complained about the smell.
The dog died in agony. As greyhounds rarely bark, no one was alerted to the animal's suffering.

Yesterday, police and animal welfare inspectors announced inquiries into the animal's needless death.
Police dog handlers were furious about the animal's appalling treatment. Police said it was a "tragic situation".
They confirmed that officers may be disciplined over the dog's death.
The brindle greyhound had been picked up as a stray and taken to Dalkeith police station in Midlothian on January 2.
The Record understands the dog's arrival was logged at the front desk.
The animal was then placed in a holding kennel at the back.
The officer who accepted the dog is not normally based at the station and it received no further attention.
A source said: "Normally, the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals would have been contacted immediately and the dog would have gone to them within 24 hours.
"For some reason this did not happen and everyone just forgot about it, with horrific consequences."

The dog endured its lonely ordeal just yards from the station's busy car park.
It is not known how long it took to die.
Its fate was only discovered when other officers became aware of a horrible smell around the kennel, beside petrol pumps in a courtyard, on January 12.
The dog is likely to have died from dehydration. Although under-nourished when it was brought in, there is no evidence it was ill.
Inquiries have been hampered as the officers who found the decomposing body immediately got rid of it.
Our source said: "It simply appears that they did not think through the implications."
Officers at the station say the incident has caused huge anger in the force. One said: "The kennel it was left in is little more than a cupboard. As you would expect, our dog handlers are particularly furious."

Greyhound lovers were also outraged. They said there was little doubt the animal would have been an ex-racing dog.
David Melville, of the Greyhound Awareness League, said: "This is quite horrific. We can only hope that lessons are learned.
Melville said the lack of noise from the kennel was "absolutely typical", adding: "A greyhound is no use as a watchdog as they very seldom bark. They are trusting dogs."

This poem is about Major, a lovely Greyhound who died in January 2007 aged just 3 years. He was left without food or water in a police kennel in Dalkeith Scotland because the "person" who booked him in failed to inform other staff that he was there. He was discovered when a smell was noticed from the area. His picture is at the bottom of the page. May he rest in peace now.

The unseen agony.

Lost and wandering all alone,
At last brought here to find a home
A human leaves and says 'so long'
I'd no idea something was wrong.

No food or water comes my way,
Although I wait here day by day.
My stomach hurts, my tongue is dry,
Still no one comes - I don't know why.

A kindly word, a pat or stroke,
Just anything would give me hope.
My lovely eyes were once so bright,
They're clouding now as pain I fight.

My legs give way as all strength goes,
The agony just grows and grows.
I lie here now weak and alone,
I guess I'll never find a home.

My eyes are now dimming and finally close,
And no one either cares or knows.
I'm just a poor Greyhound alone and in pain,
This must not be allowed to happen again.

By Jean Bowler, Reading, England.This is Major , run freexxx
PLEASE SEE THE PLIGHT OF GREYHOUNDS IN PUBLIC AWARENESS!!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:53:55 PM by K9 »

Offline terezza

Re: Police left lost dog to die!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »
Sick, sick, sick!!!
I saw this yesterday on the news & just felt such a surge of anger at this cruelty, there is no other word for it. The fact that the dog made no noise is a lame excuse, just shows that the kennels are not regularly checked.
Awful but not surprising, from my experience when I found a lost dog & had to contact the police. They couldn't have been less interested.
Terezza

Layla bud

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:08:48 PM »
That is so distressing to read this story i am so sorry that this poor dog was left to die such an appalling death and also to die very frighten and alone.
I do hope the officers concerned are dealt with accordingly.

Run free at Rainbow bridge sweetheart, you will never feel any pain or be alone again.

doggroomer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:05:59 PM »
Someone told me about this today. That poor dog did nothing to deserve such a cruel end. I hope they're brought to book about this. Let's hope this case will force the police to keep proper records of dogs brought to them.

Run free at the bridge baby. No-one will hurt you again.

Chris

Offline Michelle

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
That poor dog did nothing to deserve such a cruel end. I hope they're brought to book about this. Let's hope this case will force the police to keep proper records of dogs brought to them.

Chris

ditto. This is discusting, poor dog! Be happy at rainbow bridge, xx

alfiesmummy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
I am too upset to comment on this. Justine

Offline midnightmist

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
[]
That poor dog did nothing to deserve such a cruel end. I hope they're brought to book about this. Let's hope this case will force the police to keep proper records of dogs brought to them.

Chris

This story is so upsetting.Every time I read an awful story I just sit and cuddle my dogsand hope and pray that nothing will ever happen to them.Sheila

cassie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
I hope the bloody police are prosecuted for this, it is so sad, and so DISCUSTING. An unnessary and awful death due to human ignorance !!!!!!!

Offline Frankie

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
Words cannot express my feelings. Run free little one.

Offline paul the vegan dog lover

• Dogs, loving and true friends for life.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:02:05 PM »
>:( SO SORRY ABOUT THE SHOUTING BUT I AM IN SUCH A BLIND RAGE OVER THIS THAT I NEED TO GO AND HIT SOMETHING! >:(
Paul Russell

"Take a chance! All life is a chance. The person who goes the furthest is
generally the one who is willing to do and dare."  Dale Carnegie 1888-1955,
Author and Trainer

Offline paul the vegan dog lover

• Dogs, loving and true friends for life.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
I just showed this to my brother. He said how do they treat the prisoners if thats how they treat the innocent?
Paul Russell

"Take a chance! All life is a chance. The person who goes the furthest is
generally the one who is willing to do and dare."  Dale Carnegie 1888-1955,
Author and Trainer

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »
Updated with photo of poor Major..
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
DOG LEFT TO STARVE BY POLICE!!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 07:50:29 AM »
THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED!!
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
Re: Police left lost dog to die!!!!Updated
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 07:54:49 AM »
NEARLY HAPPENED AGAIN, Is it that difficult to know you have a dog in the kennels ???Police!!! :(  See Newsflash :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:02:10 AM by K9 »

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
Re: DOG LEFT TO STARVE BY POLICE!!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 07:57:31 AM »
Take a look at poor Majors page in general discussion. Are the police real morons or just uncaring!!! :(