Author Topic: pet CPR (resuscitation)  (Read 3951 times)

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
pet CPR (resuscitation)
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
Many techniques are similar to those used on humans. CPR is done the same way except the animals receive rescue breathing through their snouts.
The main difference is the number of compressions vs. breaths. The American Red Cross recently changed the requirement for humans to one breath per 30 compressions. Pet CPR is one breath to five or six compressions. The same technique is used, except with small animals you use one hand.

The animal should be lying on its right side during CPR. To check for a pulse, find the crease line of the animal's front leg where it joins the body. The ABC's of rescue breathing are open the airway by titling the neck and head, sweeping the mouth with a finger to check for obstructions and checking for breathing.

If the animal is not breathing and has no pulse, close its mouth and place your mouth over the animal's snout and blow forcefully. Then alternate breaths with chest compressions.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:54:12 PM by K9 »
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
Re: pet CPR (resuscitation)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
x
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline alfiesmummy

• FOUNDER OF THIS SITE
  • Owner
  • I LIVE FOR MY DOGS
Re: pet CPR (resuscitation)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »
great info, thanks chris.
Justine, for the love of ALL creatures great and small and my beloved dogs