Author Topic: microchips , keep updating the companies  (Read 1546 times)

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
microchips , keep updating the companies
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
copied from a post on lost/stolen & found - worth knowing:
This is long but I make no apologies.

On 1st August 2003 my microchiped and tagged Yorkshire Terrier, Sophie, disappeared. Despite a massive search, flyposting, banners, newspaper appeals, rewards offered and endless searching she was never found. I reported her loss to the chip company, AVID, who logged it on their system. Over 8 years has gone by with no news on my girl. Years spent wondering and worrying what had happened to her. How could she have just disappeared? Follow ups were done in my local paper on some of the anniversaries of her loss but all the calls I received were either false alarms or hoax calls, the callers telling me they had Sophie and all the dreadful things they had done to her.

I did everything I could to find her and when I became aware of the appalling situation regarding homeless and unwanted dogs there was in Wales I started my own rescue. Friends of the Animals RCT grew from my despair at the loss of my dog and heartache for all the other dogs that were homeless. It grew and grew and now has many helpers, all of us volunteers who have rehomed hundreds of dogs and other animals. Last year I realised one of my dreams when our rescue set up RCT Lost and Found. A free service to residents of RCT and surrounding areas to help reunite them with their missing pets. I understood the pain and thanks to the sponsorship of a wonderful Porth couple we launched on August 1st, Sophie's anniversary. All of this in memory of my dog.

This last week Sophie has been on my mind even more than usual. I don't know why but it may be that I have two Yorkshire Terriers on foster with me. I contacted DogLost an amazing online resource for the owners of missing dogs. I had registered Sophie with them all those years ago and they very kindly updated Sophie's thread.

On Wednesday morning and after some searching for the paperwork, I rang AVID to give them some extra contact numbers. I realised pretty soon something was wrong and was in total shock and disbelief to hear that Sophie had been re-registered to a new owner in 2006. She had been rehomed by Dogs Trust, an organistaion I have the highest regard for, and they had sent in a change of ownership form. No call had been logged on the system by anyone inquiring about the dog implanted with the chip and all that had been received was the new owner details. No one contacted me to inform me my dog had been found. I have spent the last two days in a state of shock. Dogs Trust are carrying out an investigation and will get back to me tomorrow.

All I know about Sophie is that she was re- registered as Scruffy in 2006. I am overjoyed that my girl was found and that she ended up in the care of a reputable rescue who would have taken every care in finding her a home but how did this happen?

I feel despair and I feel anger. I should have had a call in 2006 to say Sophie had been found and she should have come home to me and her best friend Tilley and I would have been saved a further 5 plus years of heartache and worry.

How could a system put in place to protect owners and pets have let me down so badly. How many other owners have not been reunited with their pets because procedures were not followed? I feel I have been robbed twice, once when whoever had Sophie from 2003 until 2006 and a second time when no one contacted me to tell me she had been found. I am praying that Sophie is alive as it would be too cruel to think that she has since died.

I am awaiting the answers but in the meantime if you have a lost pet please contact the chip company again and again. I believed that once my dog was logged as missing on the database there could be no mistakes, how wrong was I.

He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline alfiesmummy

• FOUNDER OF THIS SITE
  • Owner
  • I LIVE FOR MY DOGS
Re: microchips , keep updating the companies
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
VETS NEED TO SCAN ALL DOGS!!!!!!!
Justine, for the love of ALL creatures great and small and my beloved dogs