Author Topic: Sophie's Story and Why You Must Keep Ringing Your Database Company  (Read 1887 times)

Offline foawales

This last few days have been some of the worst I have had since Sophie went missing on August 1st 2003. I have linked to her story so I hope you will take a few minutes to read it. I am still waiting to hear how my girl is and if she is still alive. I am waiting for answers as to how the system I put huge store in has let Sophie and I down. I assumed that once logged as lost that would be enough to bring my girl home if she was ever found. How wrong was I.

Debbie has been a great help and I cannot praise her work enough.
http://vetsgetscanning.co.uk/microchipped-yorkshire-terrier-sophie-was-rehomed-and-owner-denied-reunification-6-years-ago/

Offline foawales

Re: Sophie's Story and Why You Must Keep Ringing Your Database Company
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
I have had a call from Dogs Trust. Sophie was handed in to them in 2006 by a man who had had her for 3 years. She was scanned but the chip not checked. She was rehomed and a change of ownership form sent in to AVID. They did not contact eith me to say Sophie was found or Dogs Trust to flag up that this was a missing dog.

I have asked for more information on Sophie now and if they can facilitate a meeting with her. I have also asked for more information on the person who handed her in. I have told them that I appreciate their honesty but to say I am devastated would be an understatement.

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
http://www.alfieslostdogs.com/bb/index.php/topic,35690.0.html also here .

this is dreadful whats the point in microchipping  when this happens  but has happened with others
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline alfiesmummy

• FOUNDER OF THIS SITE
  • Owner
  • I LIVE FOR MY DOGS
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
My heart goes out to you, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

Justine, for the love of ALL creatures great and small and my beloved dogs

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
Woman's 'limbo' after dog Sophie found with new ownersBy Nick Dermody

BBC News

Sophie went missing in 2003 after jumping her rear garden fence
A woman who found her dog after nine years says she has been left "in limbo" because the new owners will not let her see her again.

Eileen Jones, of Porth, Rhondda, launched an animal re-homing charity after the Yorkshire Terrier ran off in 2003.

Sophie is now called Scruffy but her owners will not permit a visit.

The Dogs Trust has now changed its procedures after Sophie's microchip was not checked.

Ms Jones, 59, said she was desperate after Sophie jumped the garden fence in August 2003 of her then home in Ynyshir and disappeared.

Start Quote
I need to see my dog and have to wait until someone is willing to allow that to happen”
End Quote
Eileen Jones

Sophie's former owner
 She put up posters and leaflets in neighbouring areas and used sheets for banners in streets in a number of south Wales valleys towns.

Her efforts to trace her pet led to her doing animal rescue work of her own, eventually setting up her own organisation, Friends of the Animals RCT, with its own 24-hour hotline.

Ms Jones, who also works for a children's charity, funded the operation herself.

She even used a photo of Sophie on the charity's literature, with the message "a legacy to Sophie".

She admitted her animal work was in the hope that Sophie would be one of the dogs rescued.

This month Ms Jones found herself fostering two Yorkshire Terriers, which prompted her to phone the database firm which had a record of Sophie's microchip details.

She then discovered Sophie had been handed in as a stray to the Dogs Trust some years ago.

Sophie - now called Scruffy - was used on Ms Jones' animal charity literature Staff had reported that the dog had a microchip but no check was made with the database firm.

The dog was re-homed in 2006.

Ms Jones said she was "absolutely devastated" after the dog's new owners declined her request to see the animal.

She said: "I have sent them a letter and poured my heart out, really. I've told them all the things I've done because of Sophie.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
With regret, Dogs Trust can confirm that at the time when the handover took place, we were unable to identify the dog as being reported missing”
End Quote
Dogs Trust

Statement
 "I'm a bit in limbo now. I need to see my dog and have to wait until someone is willing to allow that to happen.

"I can't just "carry on". It's been nine years worrying and wondering about my dog.

"Really, it's about closure. Then I can move on, knowing that she is as well loved as I loved her."

The Dogs Trust said its procedures have been changed.

It said: "Yorkshire terrier, Sophie, was handed over to Dogs Trust Bridgend in 2005 by a gentleman, on behalf of his parents in law, who informed us that the family had acquired her as a stray.

"With regret, Dogs Trust can confirm that at the time when the handover took place, we were unable to identify the dog as being reported missing.

"We are in touch with Eileen Jones regarding this matter to extend our sincerest sympathies.

"We would like to stress that it is Dogs Trust policy to scan every dog that comes into any one of our 18 rehoming centres."
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG

Offline K9

• Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:07:24 PM by K9 »