Author Topic: Beware Blue/Green Algae kills dogs  (Read 1884 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Colliewobbles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 41
Beware Blue/Green Algae kills dogs
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »


 A  reminder on here, saw one dog die from this at pembroke show last year, and his mate was really ill, but did survive, this was either through swimming in the river, or water trough.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:00:41 AM by K9 »
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues

Offline Crystal

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 69
Re: Beware Blue/Green Algae kills dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
Thank you very much for being so conscientious and warning others about the dangers of Blue/Green Algae. I was saddened to learn about the dog who unfortunately died after swimming in the river. Forewarned is forearmed as it were! Thank you.

Offline K9

  • Chris SITE MANAGER
  • Owner
  • Hero Member
  • *******
  • Posts: 16001
Re: Beware Blue/Green Algae kills dogs
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:32 AM »
Submitted by PDSA on September 11, 2009 –

Dog owners are warned to steer well clear of stagnant ponds* when catching some late summer sun with their pet. According to a leading veterinary charity, this is ideal weather for highly toxic ‘blue-green algae’** to bloom. This can kill if dogs drink contaminated water or swim in it and then groom themselves.

Senior Veterinary Surgeon at PDSA, Elaine Pendlebury, said: “Toxins produced by, or contained within, some types of algae are extremely poisonous and death is common and rapid – symptoms occur within 15 minutes to one hour of exposure. Death can happen within 10 to 30 minutes of this and usually within 24 hours of swallowing the toxin.”

Algae can be more concentrated at water edges and even small amounts of water can contain lethal doses. In some instances, dogs have been found dead at the edge of the water.

The first signs of a problem include severe vomiting which may contain blood which then can lead to more serious symptoms. With the more toxic algae, breathing difficulties, collapse and death can develop within 15 minutes of exposure to the toxin. Although affected dogs can survive if treated quickly, clinical effects may show over a longer period of time and they may develop kidney or liver failure.

Elaine concludes: “Blue-green algae is particularly prevalent at this time of year, especially with this late summer sun we are currently enjoying. So we want dog owners to be aware of just how dangerous it can be. Dogs are particularly at risk when they drink from watering holes like ponds where the algae has spread rapidly, usually when it is sunny and the water has a high temperature.”

* Owners should beware of any stagnant pools. Algae can live on the surface or the bottom of the water, so the pond won’t always have a scum on the surface.

** Though known as blue-green algae, it can vary in colour – some are red and some are black as well as blue-green.
He is your friend,your partner, your defender,Your Dog! You are his life,his love,his leader! He will be yours,faithful and true to the last beat of his heart! You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion!
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT SURE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG