Author Topic: THE PLIGHT OF GREYHOUNDS!  (Read 14064 times)

alfiesmummy

THE PLIGHT OF GREYHOUNDS!
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »
WE SHOULD ALL BE AWARE OF THE PLIGHT  GREYHOUNDS IN ENGLAND AND IRELAND and SCOTLAND!
If you have any information ,stories etc please post them on this thread.

WARNING ,THERE ARE GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS THREAD
 Eternal Sleep.

It wasn't all that long ago
I ran the dusty track for show,
Devoted and driven, my face pierced the wind
As race after race I fought to contend.
Slow at the turn and lacking in grace
I did what I could, but I never placed.

I loved to run and hear the crowds roar
But the cheers turned to boos when I didn't score.
Folks lost their money when they bet on me,
They called me a looser, said "retire number three".
I had no idea what I was likely to find
As I walked from the track for the very last time.

My person was waiting, eyes hard, face long,
I sensed inside the sadness, this time I wouldn't go home.
I tried to change my person's mind
And wagged my mighty tail
But I knew, deep down, without a doubt
Just like racing I had failed.

We drove along a country road till we came upon a town
Where, errected of the main road was a place known as "the pound".
A pretty woman came outside and took me from my crate,
My person signed the papers and looked me in the face.
He said "I'm sorry, I have to leave you here and have you put to sleep,
You're not as fast as all the others, you no longer earn your keep".
I felt my heart break into bits as I walked with head bowed low,
I knew that it was over, I had no place to go.

Inside the dingy building, I was checked and tagged and weighed
A voice said, "We'll put him down tomorrow, if not today".
I heard the pretty woman say, "Don't look him in the eye,
He has that Greyhound gaze that says I do not want to die".
They put me in a kennel, with others on death row
I lay down on the concrete, and moaned so soft and low.

As morning filtered through the glass I stretched my weary bones
The pretty woman came to me and said, "It's time to go".
The hall was long and dark and cold, I did not cry or weep,
I used my eyes and face and soul, to halt eternal sleep.
She tried her best to use defence, and look away from me,
She seemed to know how wrong it was to do this deadly deed.

She bent down close and held my face against her silken cheek,
The needle entered my front leg, and quickly I felt weak.
I heard the pretty woman sob as she laid me on the floor,
I saw a last glimpse of her, and then I saw no more.

I may not have been the fastest dog to ever run the track
I just wish someone had loved me, so I could have loved them back.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:48:43 PM by K9 »

alfiesmummy

MY EYES HAVE BEEN OPENED!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:08 PM »
I recenctly met up with a couple that have an ex racing GreyHound. Well I have to say that I have never taken in a greyhound to care for or walk as I have 3 yorkies. I was always afraid that the greyhound would mistake my yorkies as something to chase......... How wrong was I. Robbie is a brindle grey hound, ex working dog and he is just so damned fantastic with my dogs and loves my yorkies to bits. I FOR 1 WILL BE TAKING IN AN EX WORKING GREYHOUND AS SOON AS I GET THE SPACE, THEY MAKE PERFECT,LOVABLE PETS. Justine
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:18:46 AM by K9 »

alfiesmummy

Re: MY EYES HAVE BEEN OPENED!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »
I will spare you the photos!THE BACKGROUND STORY...

These atrocities are happening in countries that undertake greyhound racing. In the UK alone 40,000 greyhounds are disposed of every year by the racing industry.

Due to the over breeding and short racing 'careers' there is a surplus of greyhounds with the majority of the dogs being killed.

Extremely cruel methods such as drowning, shooting, beating are commonplace. Greyhounds have been found mutilated with their ears chopped off to prevent identification of the owner through the ear tattoo.

Thousands of puppies that fail the grade are routinely killed. The lucky dogs end up being abandoned but with little hope of finding a home even though greyhounds are naturally docile and affectionate dogs and given the chance they make wonderful pets.

Greyhound racing has been recognised as a cruel sport and banned in 6 states in the USA and in South Africa with growing opposition in other countries.

The World Greyhound Racing Federation the ruling body of world wide racing and private corporations have began to promote and introduce greyhound racing in Asia.

The dogs are being exported from Australia with racing and breeding already underway in Vietnam, Macau, China and more recently in Korea.

They further plan on creating a network of tracks throughout Vietnam, the Philippines and Cambodia. These are countries notorious for the barbaric torture and slaughter of dogs for human consumption. At present this is the fate greyhounds in Asia unless we stop them.

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?

1: Be a voice for the greyhounds, each country has it's own section on this website which provides all the info you need to help us in our campaign - just take a look and act.

2: Contact the companies, racing authorities, government officials and tourist offices listed in each countrys section and voice your protest to them.

3: Do not support or attend greyhound racing in any country and never bet on a greyhound race.

4: Contact us for petition forms and copies of our leaflets to distribute and also collect signatures for our petitions.

5: Write to local, national and international newspapers to express your disgust at the export and fate of greyhounds in Asia and around the world. Tell as many people as possible.

6: If you have any information concerning greyhound cruelty in any part of the world, please contact us.

7: If you can offer a greyhound a loving home please contact us.

8: Please send a donation to help our campaign so that we can continue to help the greyhounds.

Please send your cheques, international money orders or postal orders to:

Greyhound Action International, PO Box 127 Kidderminster, England DY103UZ

Donations for GAI are used only for international campaigns so please mark envelopes and cheques with "Greyhound Action International"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Albert Einstein

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:22:39 AM by alfiesmummy »

Offline sara1975

• creator of alfies facebook group
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:04 AM »
my mum and i were driving along a busy road a few years back and a car in front hit a greyhound that had ran in the road when it was spooked by a horse.
we stopped and went over to the dog, the man who was with it said it wasnt his dog he was looking after it for a man who ran a training school for greyhounds up the road as they were on holiday.
it still makes me cry when i think of it as i can still hear that poor dog screaming :'(
we put the dog in mums car and i sat in the back with her on my lap but as we got to the vets shes died.
the man then begged us to go with him and tell his wife so we did.
he then ran the owner while we were there, and do you know what the w****r
said?
oh well it wasnt a good runner any way >:(
i was so mad it was lucky he wasnt in the room >:(
so it just shows they mean nothing to the owners, they see them as just money on legs and nothing more.
racing should be stopped.
mummy to tye zac brandi & suki
RIP ben, scampi, sasha, & annie x

alfiesmummy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I FULLY AGREE!!! LETS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.......... AND NOW!!!  it took 1 dog to open my eyes to this, now lets use our website to open the eyes of others that are unaware of this crime. Justine
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:11:37 AM by alfiesmummy »

Layla bud

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »
I have heard and read so much about ex-racing Greyhounds over the years, people are so cruel once there racing life is over and just chuck them out on the streets that is why you see so many in rescues. The general public seem to think that they need a lot of exercise but this is not the case, they just want to see the rest of their days out doing minimal exercise and just need a lot of loving as quite often they have been starved of love and affection. Greyhounds do make wonderful pets.

I myself have only ever been to one greyhound meeting and i vowed never to go again as it deeply upset me to see these dogs racing, some dogs might enjoy it some maybe don't, i for one do not support this sport.

Offline PrincessJo5

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »
I go to greyhound racing, not very often, but I am always asking people questions about how the dogs are treated, where they live, etc, I dont know if I am being naive but I think that not all are treated badly.
Jo x

Offline Anthea

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
Hi Jo, No, I'm sure not all greyhounds are ill-treated, they wouldn't win races if they were.  But when they have finished racing, or if they don't make the grade at all as a runner, they need a loving home.  They respond so well to love and company.  Robbie was walked with Justine and all her dogs last week, and had such fun.

In just a few weeks he has settled in with us and is loved to bits.  Racing stadiums now have to have rehoming centres, they welcome volunteer dog walkers.  This is how we found Robbie. Please, anybody considering a rescue dog, think about adopting a greyhound!  Anthea

alfiesmummy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:16 PM »
"we support"

alfiesmummy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »
I am not talking about the good places, but the bad ones. Take a look at the following pictures......................
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:48:48 PM by alfiesmummy »

Offline Jaspers Mummy

• A Dog's Best Friend Ltd - Dog Walker
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
I would never ever go Greyhound racing again, I went once, saw a dog fall over and then heard people saying well that one will get shot.........left in tears never again!

Offline cav

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »
Yes its so  cruel what greyhounds go through especially when no longer wanted, packed into cages which they can't even stand up in and transported to barcelona to their death and what ive read on limerick animal welfares site is heartbreaking, i have read on dogpages what wonderful loving pets they can be but the people on there are very aware that some always maintain that high prey drive, they are very responsible to match the right dog to owner and other pets, a few years ago my local paper reported how a yorkie was killed by a greyhound,  the chap who had just got the  greyhound said that the local rescue just said it couldn't go near cats nothing about smaller dogs and other furries, this was obviously not the breed rescue  as they do so much to help, i wish these poor dogs could have a better life

alfiesmummy

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
I WELCOME ANY NEWS AND REPORTS ABOUT GREYHOUNDS ON THIS SITE. WE ALL NEED TO KNOW JUST WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS BREED AND SOON. Justine

alfiesmummy

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
WE NOW HAVE A DIRECT LINK TO A GREYHOUND RESCUE..... THEY NEED HELP. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE LINKS PAGE!

alfiesmummy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN SENT TO ME FROM SYLVIA, COURTESY OF VETS GET SCANNING.

Hi Justine,
Please find the relevant information in regard to Racing Greyhound, Defra and the Animal Welfare Act

Racing Greyhounds.

Due to the concerns expressed by Parliament during the debates on the Animal Welfare Bill about the welfare of racing greyhounds,the government has promised to improve the regulation of the greyhound racing industry.  New arrangements should be in place by 2009 and will provide further protection for racing greyhounds.

Defra has set up a Greyhound Welfare Working Group to examine the issue of greyhound welfare.  Members of the group include representatives of welfare organisations, the racing industry, local authorities, the devolved administrations and Defra.

The group has been asked to offer advice to Ministers and officials as to how best to regulate the industry and in the drafting of a code of practice to improve greyhound welfare.  In addition we are waiting for the outcome of the All Party Group on Animal Welfare  ( APGAW ) inquiry into the welfare of racing greyhounds and the inquiry by Lord Donoughue into the way that the industry regulates welfare standards.

Our Present preference is that whenever possible the welfare standards should be enforced by the industry.  However, the standards would be set by central government and the effectiveness of the enforcement's would also be monitored by central government.

Before recommending such a system to Parliament, the Government first needs to be convinced that the industry is capable of being an open and audible regulator of its own affairs. The Animal Welfare Minister, Ben Bradshaw , has met with the industry and made it clear to them that the industry must demonstrate that it has adopted a modern, open and auditable approach to the regulation of welfare standards. This includes addressing concerns about the need for greater commitment in terms of its resources to the promotion of welfare.

April 4, 2007

Thank you Sylvia for this information. Justine