Author Topic: TWISTED STOMACH!  (Read 2021 times)

alfiesmummy

TWISTED STOMACH!
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:49:39 AM »
Julian, please can you tell me how a large breed dog can just suddenly have a twisted stomach, see "say a prayer for Dexter" on news flash. Can you give me some information please. Justine

Offline Mark

• k9.ms
Re: TWISTED STOMACH!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:18:12 AM »
There's an article about it here http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=505 which seems to make sense to me so presumably it's fairly accurate.

doggroomer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:04:05 PM »
Unfortunately, German Shephards are one of the breeds that is prone to this complaint. It can kill them very quickly if not treated as soon as possible. Chris

alfiesmummy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 12:02:34 AM »
I know that Anna the vet said that if I had left it longer then dexter would be dead now. The problem is that the symptoms come on so quickly and as it looks like the dog is vomiting, it doesn't look too serious to begin with. We need to know about this problem. Justine

Offline julianvet

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:35:24 PM »
Hi Justine,

I am sorry that dexter had a gastric torsion. It is a common condition affecting mainly large breed dogs. Despite its frequent occurence, the problem is poorly understood. Nobody really knows why it happens and what can be done to prevent it.

Some argue that the ligaments anchoring the stomach to the abdominal cavity of large breed dogs are quite loose and allow the dilation of the stomach to occur ....  It is possible.

Whatever it is that is causing the problem, the only thing we can do is to treat it quickly when it occurs.

Other names for the problem are GDV (Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus) or Bloat.

I do apologise for the delay in replying to you. I need to go now but will come back to you asap with more info.

I hope you are ok

regards

julien

alfiesmummy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks Julian, Dexter is so much better, but what a shock. Talk soon. Justine

Offline julianvet

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
Hi Justine,

Good to know that dexter is better.

Please take a look at the following link:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=402

This is a very good article on gastric torsion in dogs. This is going to be far more complete than a few sentences. I would be happy however to answer a few questions that you may still have on the subject.

Regards,

Julien

alfiesmummy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
Thanks Julian.xxx