Author Topic: Itchy dogs  (Read 1624 times)

Offline jeanette

Itchy dogs
« on: April 05, 2006, 07:29:53 AM »
Dear Julian
I have three dogs that have been suffering from itchy flaky skin for about six months, they are frontlined every month.  They are all fed tinned Chappie and meal.  The 14 year old Cocker has thinning fur along the sides of his body and his skin and coat look worse than the two younger dogs, although the Cavalier nibbles and chews himself the most.

The old Cocker was fine until we got the Poodle as a pup last June, he had a flaky coat from the onset but the vet said it was not unusual.  We then got the Cavalier as a one year old in August and his coat was very shiny and clean at that time.

Any idas?

Jeanette

Offline julianvet

Re: Itchy dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi Jeanette,

If 3 dogs (of different breed and age) starts being itchy and flaky at the same time, one should suspect a contagious disorder. Parasites such as fleas, lice and mites (They are different types) will be high on the list as well as fungal infections such as ring worm.

You need to see a veterinarian that should perform coat brushing and skin scrapes followed by microscopic examination. Fungal culture to rule out ring worm might prove useful.

It might be that the gross appearance of the pet would be enough for my colleague to make a diagnosis.

Regards,

Julien

alfiesmummy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
Hi Julien, The three dogs mentioned here stayed with me for 4 days last week, my dogs are not scratching, well all but 1 and that is the jack Russell. Also I didn't notice any itching between the above mentioned dogs whilst they were here. I hope that this is not contagious. Justine

alfiesmummy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:30:09 PM »
After thought for the last post. The owner of these 3 dogs has cats, could this be the problem? Justine

Offline julianvet

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:53:58 PM »
Hi

Cats very commonly carry fleas unless on a very good flea control. Long haired cats could be healthy carriers for ring worm. Some dogs might also be allergic to cat dander which would make them itchy (This is very rare).

There is therefore a possible relationship between the cats and the dogs problem. But nobody knows before a diagnosis is reached.

Kind regards,

Julien