Author Topic: MAX gsd x Reunited after 5 weeks via dog trap  (Read 1637 times)

Offline mikka

• Site Administrator
MAX gsd x Reunited after 5 weeks via dog trap
« on: December 11, 2010, 10:22:13 PM »
following this appeal by lisa on facebook
PLEASE CROSS POST. DARTFORD / STONE AREA.. EXTREMELY SKINNY GERMAN SHEPHERD (POSSIBLE CROSS) RUNNING LOOSE & TRYING TO SEARCH FOR FOOD. HE RAN OFF WHEN WE APPROACHED INTO THICKET & WAS LAST SIGHTED NEAR CROSSWAYS WHARF PUB. ANY SIGHTINGS, PLEASE RING 07702 982405. WE HAVE A TRAP BUT NEED A CURRENT LOCATION. :(

Chris and i went out with our trap and after 2 hours we managed to trap this dog ... He is very very skinny but otherwise in good health ... following Lisa picking him up ity turns out this poor boy has been missing from mitcham in surrey for 5 weeks and thankfully he was chipped and will now be reunited tomorrow with his owner ... WELCOME HOME MAX xxxx

pic 1 is max before he went missing
pic 2 is of when he was caught in the trap
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:53:16 AM by K9 »

Offline mikka

• Site Administrator
Re: Reunited after 5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
The dog is caught & safe.... yay!!!! Thanks Jenni & Chris for coming down this evening & trapping him, & thanks to everyone who helped over the last 3 days. His name is Max & he comes from Mitcham & had been missing for a month. He is neutered & I.D. chipped, hence one happy family will be reunited with their loving companion.. JOB WELL DONE & Thank you to him upstairs for putting him in my path in the first place x

pic of max niall lester dartford dog warden and mikka
and pic of K9 (chris) and Mikka

the story

Lisa Oneday

December 11, 2010

Myself & Max, just after he was trapped... what a stunning boy....

I saw this dog on Thursday 9/12/10, he was scavenging in snow & ice on a busy main road. I pulled my car over & approached him, but he headed off into bushes. Myself & my friend Tony crawled through the thorny bushes but could not find him. Niall joined us & we continued to look to no avail.. But we did get reported sightings...
 I came home for a while then went back out with the trap after another sighting, this time with Gareth & my 5 year old son, but nothing.... no sightings.
 I came home & requested help to go back to the area to try & trap this very skinny starving dog. Johnathan, Neil & Emma came & met up & between us we managed to feed many a fox & have a BBQ!! (hoping the smell would bring him out) & freeze in the snow, but did not sight this boy. We left after midnight, saddened but still hoping...
 Friday 10/12/10, Myself & Tony went back to the area & searched & searched getting ideas from foot prints in the snow as to where he might be, painstakingly walking down alleyways & through bushes, just as Johnathan & Neil had the night before... we were getting a good idea of the area.
 I new I had to go out again that night, but was getting disheartened as there had been no reported sightings & thinking that he might have moved on or died in the cold.
 I was just updating my status for help when I got a call telling me a GSD was in a bush not near where we had seen him, but certainly traveling distance for a dog, Myself & Gareth rushed there, but he had gone.. we waited & eventually saw him.. we set up the trap & sat patiently in the car. Sure enough this skinny hungry boy made his way in the trap, but kept his back legs stretched out on the grass, the trap sprung & so did he, backwards straight out of it!!! He hung around still wanting more food now locked in the trap, I opened the car door & rattled a tin of dog food, he approached me very frightened & slowly... then just as I thought he may come to my hand, a dog walker came past & he scampered off.. Gareth followed but he disappeared..
 After a time we went home & later that evening myself & Niall went out with a manual homemade trap, & we sat there in the cold for 3 hours, leaving at 1am... no sightings...
 Saturday 11/12/10, Johnathan & Neil headed to the area & walked for hours searching, but did not see him. In the meantime I had a sighting reported from the same bush area, so new he was still around, even though they said he had trotted off.
 Later that evening I met up with Chris & Jenni who brought their trap along, they got there before me & sighted him. I left them trapping with the intention of going back at 6am Sunday morning should they not catch him.... after a phone call from them giving me updates on resident sightings & the horrible one from a lady who said there had been some guy hanging round the bush earlier & when asked said there was a dog in there & he wanted it.. we were even more desperate to catch him. I joked that the next call better be you telling me you got him.... & it was.... Happy is an understatement!
 Myself & Niall rushed down there to find Jenni siting next to the trap feeding him by hand... he looked relieved even though he was scared.
 Niall slipped his hand through the door & put a slip lead on him, & out he came, nervous but not aggressive, you could see every bone on his body, something the camera doesn't pick up to well with the flash.
 He jumped straight in my car into the cage, although he flinched when you touched him, you could tell he was happy to be safe. We took him to the council kennels where Niall is the Dog Warden for & scanned him, he was chipped & we had already checked & found him to be neutered, so we were hoping this meant he had a home.

Well he did & he had missing for a month from Mitcham in Surrey, a long way away.
 We don't believe he got to Dartford on his own. Dartford is known for stolen dogs turning up & although Max had escaped his home we imagined he was picked up by an undesirable (thats a soft term) & found his way to Dartford, where he either escaped them or was dumped when they new he was no good for breeding, guarding or hunting.
 Max is a German Shepherd Lurcher & just the sort of dog that a certain element of our society will steal & trade.... THANK GOD WE GOT HIM.

This all happened by chance to begin with & then the determination & much needed help to make this possible. I haven't even covered all the emotions I or all those who helped went through in those three days, all that worrying for this starving dog out in the freezing cold, crossing very busy main roads alone & lost. Or all the cost in fuel, bait food & phone calls & all the many cuts from some really massive thorns!!!!

Max is now home, Happy to be back, but still flinching... & the memory of the beatings we gather he got in the hands of the scum will hopefully pass in tim

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:52:35 PM by K9 »

Offline secretldyuk

• Site Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
it makes everything so worth it when happy things like this happen. well done jenny and chris.

Mandy
"A dog can not speak in our language, so i will speak for them."

alfiesmummy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Bloody FANTASTIC LADIES.... well done and welocome home Max. How did he get to swanley?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:38:28 PM by alfiesmummy »

Offline pici2

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
 :) :) :) :)  EXTREMELY WELL DONE< CHRIS< JENNI!!!!! One happy ending: a dog saved from dangerous road and a family reunited with their beloved pet!!

NOW- come on BISCUIT- come home after 6 weeks!!

Offline mikka

• Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
Magda Biscuit is next x

alfiesmummy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
We hope so

Offline pici2

Re: MAX gsd x Reunited after 5 weeks via dog trap
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
Unfortunately, no news of Biscuit.

I met the man who had asked whether I wanted to breed with his bitch in the park behind my house. He told me that his bitch has just been "done" (HE MEANT PAIRED) with a black and white male. When i asked him whether i could see the puppies as i might want one if i don't find Biscuit- he was not keen- saying there might only be three or so in her first season (reasonable)and that they will be docked- not really a reaason to me not seeing them. I asked him for his address telling him I wanted to send posters. I will go and see him one evening this week with posters as my printer did not work today. COME HOME BISCUIT!!!
A dog ran away from Pratts Bottom more than a week ago and is somewhere in the area- I told the owner to call you Chris. He is a huge dog, Mastiff and Akita cross-and the lady is desperate. It is near main road and loads of green...