Author Topic: Aural haematoma  (Read 4847 times)

Offline tessasmum

Aural haematoma
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:23:08 PM »
Hi Julien. My dog Tess has had this problem twice recently. Both times they drew the blood off, but said if it happens again, she will have to have surgery. Can you tell me what they would do in surgery and how it would help? Many thanks. Sue
Sue

A dog's love is unconditional

alfiesmummy

Re: Aural haematoma
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »
I would really like to know what this condition is, Julien, please can you give me a bit of information. Thanks. Justine

Offline julianvet

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi Sue,

An auaral hematoma describe the accumulation of bloody fluid between the skin and cartilage of the ear. The ear appears swollen and painful. To drain the fluid out may prove succesfull on some occasions but I have to say this is quite uncommon and they usually require surgery.

The surgery is easy to perform but require a lot of care from the owner afterwards. The vet will open the skin of the ear under general anaesthetic and flush the fluid. Then  the skin will be stitch back but the hole will be open and should stay open for 2 -3 weeks. The dog will wear a buster collar at all time and should be on antibiotics + pain-killers.

Why do they get that problem, nobody really knows. Personnally, I have seen many dogs with that problem that were suffering from an underlying ear infection. If this is present, it should be treated as well. I also have seen a large number of golden retriever affected with that problem (breed predisposition/ coincidence?? I dont know).

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

julien

alfiesmummy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »
Hi Julien, I was advised by a vet some years ago (not you) that my black cocker spaniel should have something similar done to his ears as he was and is always getting ear infections. Is this the operation that removes the inner ear, drains it and then sews it up? as a result leaving the dog deaf? Please let me know. Justine

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the info Julien. Touch wood, up to now the draining seems to have worked. The second time it happened, there was an ear infection which was treated before they drained it. Fingers crossed that she won't require surgery(sounds pretty gruesome). Once again, many thanks. Sue
Sue

Offline julianvet

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »
Hi,

Sue: I am glad to hear that the operation has been avoided and that your doggy is doing well. Lets hope things are going to stay this way!!

Justine: the operation you describe is called TECA = Total Ear Canal Ablation. This is a very tricky and expensive surgical procedure. It can be very useful in specific situations and can really improve a dog quality of life. It is unfortunately a difficult operation to perform and even the best surgeon do get their complications.

As you know I did not think that oliver and monty's ear problems did trigger enough problem to take the risk of that procedure.

I hope they are still doing very well (I hope you are well as well!!).

Kind regards,

julian

alfiesmummy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:42:39 PM »
Hi Julian, yes they are both well, they still get ear infections but have both asked me to tell you that they miss you lots and lots. Justine, Oliver and Monty.

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:08:15 PM »
Well, unfortunately this problem arose again and Tess had to have an op yesterday. She is fine and I hope this puts an end to the problem. Sue
Sue

Layla bud

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »
Sue, i hope that Tess gets better really soon.

Take care.

Karen X

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »
Thanks Karen. She is fine and the wound looks good. Had to cut down her lampshade as she couldn't negotiate anything with it on. :) Sue
Sue

Offline julianvet

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 09:56:43 PM »
Hello,

Good luck with the after care.

julian

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 05:43:04 AM »
Thanks Julian. She is doing well and the wound is healing nicely. She has another week of lampshade and stitches. Sue
Sue

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 06:30:03 AM »
Well folks, I had to take Tess back to the vets yesterday as she has the same thing on her other ear now. She is booked in to have an op next Tuesday  :-[ I hope this puts an end to it for her as she has been through so much with her ears, poor little sausage.
Sue
Sue

Layla bud

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 09:42:37 PM »
Sue

I am so sorry to hear about Tess i hope everything goes well keeping everything crossed. Give her a big kiss from us all at Alfies. X

Offline tessasmum

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 11:59:49 AM »
Evidently, it can still occur even after the op  ??? I really hope it doesn't though. I still don't know why it started happening. At least this time they are not going to just drain it as was done with the other one. That was drained twice before they did the op. Poor little sausage, she will now have 2 cauliflower ears, not just one. Thanks for your concern.
Sue
Sue