Author Topic: Bad breathe?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline justlou

Bad breathe?
« on: June 25, 2006, 07:57:47 PM »
What does it mean if a dog has really bad smelly breathe? Is it anything to worry about.

He's a 12 year old german shep x collie :)

Thanks x

Offline julianvet

Re: Bad breathe?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
Hello,

He probably has bad teeth with tartar on them.

Take a look at them or get a qualified dog carer or a vet to do so.

Best regards,

julien

alfiesmummy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
Do you think that the dog will have to have some teeth out or just a clean? Justine

Offline Mark

• k9.ms
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:01:19 PM »
Nowadays you can get dental hygene dog chews and toys, they might help.

alfiesmummy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:03:49 PM »
Hi Mark, nice to see your face at last. Re the dogs breath and the chews, most of the dental chews make my dogs sick. So I tend to use the large marrow bones. Justine

Offline julianvet

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:04:02 PM »
Hi,

It is impossible to say wether teeth need to be removed or not on the basis of a bad breath.

Even a good clinical examination might not reveal the real extent of the lesions.

When the dog is under anaesthesia and the tartar has been removed (should this be advised on the basis of the clinical examination). Then only, the vet can take a look at the teeth and decide if they are viable or if they need to come out.

Dogs chews can be very helpful but only as a preventative measure, unfortunatelly not as a treatment.

best regards,

julian

Offline PrincessJo5

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »
Hi Julian, just wondered why vets make dogs drowsy when they clean their teeth? I'd like to get my dogs teeth cleaned although I do not think its worth it if they are going to sedate her as she is absolutely petrified of the vets as it is.
Thanks,
Jo

doggroomer

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »
There's much more to having a dog's teeth cleaned than just using a toothbrush Jo. Similar to humans. It probably wouldn't be possible to do it with most dogs while they're awake. Remember also that the enzymes from decaying teeth can cause heart problems. Chris

alfiesmummy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
Hi Jo, the reason why dogs are sedated during dental treatment is because dogs have a tendency to move and jerk, if the dog was not sedated then the chances are high that the vet could cut the dogs gums and therefore even more damage. These days a dog can be sedated extremely safely and brought back in no time at all.

My 8 year old yorkie, Saphire had a complete dental clean and teeth removed in only 2 hours and was fighting fit soon after. Hope this helps. Justine (ps, it was Julian that treated her and she still loves him to bits!)

Offline PrincessJo5

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 10:05:14 PM »
I do give her dentistix regularly but I am really unsure if its worth sedating her for a teeth clean unless obviously she needed it for medical reasons, she passes urine and stools when she goes to the vets, before the vet has even touched her, she is just so scared, she is also quite a nervous dog anyway so I think it would be too much for her just for her teeth to be cleaned. Jo x

alfiesmummy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »
Hi Jo, the question you need to ask is ...does your dog need dental treatment, has she/he got smelly breath? If the answer is yes, then she needs her teeth cleaning and maybe some taken out. If you explain your dogs nervous condition then your vet will be able to prescribe a sedative for your dog. However I always use a herbal remedy called "rescue remedy" that you can get from boots etc. For a westie put 6 good drops onto the dogs tongue 30 mins before the vets appointment. Justine

Offline PrincessJo5

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
No she's fine at the moment Justine, it was just for future reference incase I ever need it. I'd probably never be able to get drops on her tongue, she's a right little madame and would just wriggle her way out of it. Thanks for the info.
Jo x

alfiesmummy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 11:07:30 PM »
Now you know why vets sedate dogs when having a dental treatment!!! Justine

Offline Michelle

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:39:18 PM »
I have used the rescue remedy on a nervey dog before too and it seems to work wonders. If your dog wont allow you to dropper it into the mouth, maybe a few drops onto a tasty treat would do the trick ;)

alfiesmummy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 11:52:02 PM »
I do just have to say that rescue remedy is not enough to sedate a dog for surgery and I would strongly advise that you DON'T give this to your dog prior to surgery. Please consult your vet first. Justine