Author Topic: Bad breathe?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline julianvet

Re: Bad breathe?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 08:08:36 PM »
Hello,

When a dog is admitted for dental treatment, they always receive a general anaesthetic (and not just a light sedation). 2 reasons for that:
- need to have a still dog
- need to have a tube in the throat to avoid water and debris (you know what I mean if you had your teeth scaled once) to go into the lungs while the dog is sleeping.

Nowadays, General anaethetic is a safe procedure providing that all risks have been measured carefully. An old dog might benefit from having a blood test prior to the anaesthesia or an unwell dogs might need to be in fluids to support the blood pressure for example.

To have a good dental hygene is paramout to a good health. The main problem comes from infected gums: bugs will be in your dog's blood steam all the time. They might stop in the heart/kidneys for example and trigger problems later in your pet's life.

Stressfull patients is a daily issue for the vet and most of us will deal with it appropriately and even allow ''special treatment'' for the more nervous ones. You might wait with the dog while he receives his pre-medication (should make him drowsy) and then gets under.

I hope this helps.

regards,

julian

milly

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 06:19:14 PM »
There's much more to having a dog's teeth cleaned than just using a toothbrush Jo. Similar to humans. It probably wouldn't be possible to do it with most dogs while they're awake. Chris

Sorry but I disagree...my yorkie had his teeth cleaned with a toothbrush every night, not with dog toothpaste...he was allergic to it...but with lightly salted warm water and never had or needed a dental during his life at all. When he was put to sleep two weeks ago from a brain tumour, he had all of his teeth still intact and shining...the vet who did his MRI scan thought he was five years old when he was really eleven. If you start when they are puppies they get use to having it done and even as he got older was still able to eat the crunchy dog food he loved rather than having to have it mashed up.

doggroomer

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
So sorry to hear you've lost your Yorkie milly. Hope he's having fun at the bridge now.

If their teeth are cleaned regularly from when they're young that's fine, but I was talking about teeth that have not been brushed regularly and already have a build-up of tartar. Unfortunately, that won't usually come off with a toothbrush.

Chris